remove_red_eye 895 / Saturday, Jan 20, 2018
A brief history of The Poynter Institute
An early seminar at the Modern Media Institute was hosted by the first president of the institute, Don Baldwin, seated against the far wall; Gene Patterson, at the head of the table; and Nelson Poynter, far right. The Poynter Institute
2 / 50
The Poynter Institute is a global leader in journalism. It is the world’s leading instructor, innovator, convener and resource for anyone who aspires to engage and inform citizens in 21st Century democracies.
What we do
To that end, we teach those who manage, edit, produce, program, report, write, blog, photograph and design, whether they belong to news organizations or work as independent entrepreneurs. We teach those who teach, as well as students in middle school, high school and college—the journalists of tomorrow. And we teach members of the public, helping them better understand how journalism is produced and how to tell for themselves whether it’s credible.
- We teach in seminar rooms on our main campus in St. Petersburg.
- We teach in newsrooms all over the world.
- We teach online with our e-learning platform, News University, allowing those in search of training to choose from hundreds of self-directed courses, online group seminars, Webinars, online chats, podcasts and video tutorials.
- We teach management, ethical decision-making and the power of diversity; we teach editing, writing, reporting and new media skills; we teach those in broadcast, print and the Web; we teach those trying to remake their organizations and those trying to remake their journalistic skills set.
Poynter teaching is unique. Guided by a resident faculty that includes distinguished professionals and scholars, our programs are designed to be highly interactive and give participants lots of individual attention. Teaching is both grounded in the extremely difficult realities of the marketplace and focused on the highest standards of journalistic values. Practical and aspirational, it is often referred to as the “Poynter Experience.”
Some call Poynter teaching truly “transformative.” Three testimonies:
- “Our class changed my life. it gave me hope. it gave me confidence.”
- “The place changed my life both professionally and personally. At Poynter you don’t simply learn the tools of your trade, you learn to sharpen them.”
- “When I came to Poynter, I was thinking about leaving journalism. Now I believe I can do it. I’m staying.”
Poynter teaching works. For those in journalism, and ultimately, for all of us.